Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My mother's only remaining sibling, Aunt Loraine, celebrated her 99th birthday this month. Their father, my Padaddy, died at age 98. His brother was 93 when he passed. My grandmother's sister, who was married to Padaddy's brother, lived to be 95. Their minds were good and they remained in their homes right up until the end.

 I have three aunts by marriage that are 83, 85 and 95. My mother is 81. All of them are still as sharp as ever and all live at home. Aunt Loraine still drives! She states boldly that she can "drive as good as I ever could."

I speak for all the family when I say we are so very thankful we have had them with us this long. I also painfully realize, given their ages, we may lose all of them close together. Each time we are with them, my sister Angela and I ask questions about their lives and write down their answers. We have learned so many interesting facts that would have been lost if we had not inquired.

I hosted a "cousin" dinner last year that included the aunts. Aunt Pauline and Mom were the only two that could be there, so I sat beside Aunt Pauline at the kitchen table and began my question and answer session with her. I began by asking her where was the first place she and Uncle Willie Mack lived. With that one question we gleaned a wealth of information.

A few times she had to back up or think for just a few seconds but she recalled each location in order.  Her recollections also revealed little tidbits that happened while in a particular location. It also gave us a tiny glimpse into painful events . At times I could hardly write fast enough to get it down. If something wasn't clear to me, I asked her to explain so I could get all the facts correctly.

All her children were present that evening and we were all seated at or gathered around the table and in the kitchen. It was a precious time together. Later, I worked through my notes and wrote her "story".  It is not her complete memoirs, of course, but it is a snapshot we can take out and recall a precious family member's life.

You can do it, too. Maybe you don't have a family member who is past 90 years old, but start where you can. If your grandparents have passed, then ask someone who knew them if they have any information. Even looking through deeds, marriage certificates, etc. wherever public records are kept gives you some insight into their lives.

This summer I learned that my paternal great-great grandfather was a partner in a furniture making business. I knew he was a furniture maker because there are a few pieces in the family that he made, but I had envisioned it as a hobby. Now I know he did it for a living. Now when I look at a picture of Thomas Parrot Hu(gh)lett I see more than an old man with a beard. I see a grandparent who was a furniture craftsman.

Get started soon. Time's a wasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment