Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Memoirs - Isn't that something old people write?

Think you can't write? You are wrong. Everyone has a story and since you have one, it's imperative you share it with those you love.
By blogging, I hope to inspire, uplift, and help you remember your story and encourage you to write it down. I'll even help you learn how.
That's what my friend, Beth Dotson-Brown did when I took a beginner writing course she offered in the community. All I wanted to do was write about what my childhood was like growing up on a farm in the 50's so that my grandchildren could get a vision of what I was telling them. Following Beth's instructions, I wanted to show them, not just tell them.
I share my stories (my memoirs) in our local paper in a column called Life Happens that I take turns writing with other members of the Grassroots Writers Group. Everywhere I go, someone almost always comes up to me and tells me they read my column and that I am speaking for them. I am asked, "how in the world can you remember all that stuff?" It just comes to me; I don't know where from but it "speaks" to me. I have concluded it is a gift I have been given, to not only share my story but to be able to tell "all" our stories. We really are all pretty much alike when we remove our outer wrappings the outside world sees.
So follow along with me as "I" take a look at "us" and share with the blogger world.

No comments:

Post a Comment